Bett Gallery is well known for the successful development and management of art collecting groups over a 30 year period. There have been 20 or so such groups operating throughout Australia to date.
Expressions of interest are invited from people wishing to start a group based in their region. Members are not art professionals but those with a keen interest in acquiring a good working knowledge and experience of contemporary art and in developing a high quality collection of contemporary Australian art.
How does it work?
- Each member will contribute a joining fee and an annual subscription to jointly purchase art works for the collection.
- Artworks will to be housed in member’s homes and rotated every six months
- Each Collection is governed by a Member Constitution, which covers all aspects of management.
- The Collection will ideally have 20 - 25 shareholders and a life of eight to ten years. Couples can jointly own a share
- The art works are chosen by an annually elected executive committee with advice and support from your BG art consultant.
- Collecting groups are for those interested in learning more about contemporary art. Prior knowledge of art is not a requirement. Indeed, groups are not suitable for art professionals. The Executive will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the collection, having complete financial control and the prerogative for purchasing for that year. Every member should experience a turn on the executive.
- Members meet 4 to 5 times a year with meetings rostered around member’s homes, artist studios and exhibition venues. Meetings are social occasions as well as opportunities to discuss acquired art works, and hear expert guest speakers such as artists, curators and collectors.
- At the end of the collection, all art works are valued and a major exhibition of the collection staged over the weekend to celebrate. After the exhibition, there will be a redistribution of art works to members using their equity in the collection to bid for their favourite works of art to take home.
If you are interested in acquiring a selection of the best contemporary Australian art, and in developing your taste and appreciation by living with quality art works please contact us. Collecting groups can be formed with a group of friends or you may opt to meet new collectors in forming a group.
‘Being a member of a group of people who join together to buy works of art gives you a chance to learn while buying without taking all the judgments and risk on your own. Plus it puts you in the orbit of others who share your enthusiasm.’
Duncan Kerr, Judge of the Federal Court of Australia
‘Being a member of The Maatsuyker Group is one of the best things we've ever done. It's given us access to art we would never have been able to afford, and, more that that, we've been able to have access to artists and other people from all walks of life who are interested in Tasmanian art and culture.’
Gerard Castles, Corporate Consultant, Tasmania
Current Collecting Groups Login
Past Collecting Groups
Derwent Collection (1985 - 1995)
Derwent Collection II (1998 - 2008)
Esk Collection (2001 - 2011)
Big River Collection (2003 - 2013)
Artemisia (2009 - 2019)
Port Phillip Collection (2009 - 2019)
Island Collection (2009 - 2019)
Maatsuyker Collection (2009 - 2019)